Thursday, April 23, 2009

Celebrate Life


Today Doug's family and I got together and did three things he absolutely did not care for.

1) We gathered to celebrate his birthday.
  • He would have been 40 years old today. Doug wasn't big on celebrating his birthday. I think it had to do with the fact that he didn't like to be the center of attention.
2) We went to Mass.
  • Doug was spiritual and believed in God, but he had long ago given up on church and organized religion.
3) We had brunch at Frisch's.
  • Doug worked at Frisch's for many years as a server. Once he quit he rarely ate there again. In the 9 years we were together I think we may have eaten at a Frisch's 3 times.
We laughed at the irony of doing things Doug didn't like to do on his birthday. We even tried to come up with other things we could do just in case he was watching. It was good to visit, laugh and celebrate his life with family that love and miss him as much as I do.

Happy Birthday, Pumpkin-butt. I'll love you always.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Happy Birthday Doug. And hope you and the Feld family are doing well or as best that can be expected today.

Jared said...

Aww. =) Happy Birthday Doug.
I'm glad you had a good time Jeffrey.
Your a really good guy, and i'm glad your doing okay.
=)

Matt Brewer said...

What a great way to celebrate Doug's birthday and life by doing things he wouldn't care to do. I can imagine him being slightly annoyed, then cracking a smile and going along with it. :)

I just caught up on the last few months of your blog posts, Jeffery. Sounds like you are getting tons of support from family and friends, which is awesome. Keep hanging in there, Doug is still around you in those things.

I am still hoping Doug's college friends can get together this summer to catch up and I hope that you are still up for attending. It would be great to celebrate Doug's life on a nice summers day, telling old stories and getting to hear more recent ones too.